Saturday, October 11, 2014

Ruffled burlap garland

I'm a little late on this week's post - sorry guys!

The big project this week is a ruffled burlap garland. A friend of mine had mentioned that she'd seen one draped over the door of a local primitive store and when I went to check it out, I knew I had to make one for myself. The store was asking $30 for one garland, but I was pretty sure I could remake it myself for less.

It was a pretty good success. I bought some burlap rolls from Wal-Mart, grabbed some scrap yarn and a yarn needle from my craft room, and went to town.

Yes, I have purple walls in my living room. No judging lol.
The secret to sewing the burlap to make the ruffles is to sew in a zig-zag pattern. The larger your zigs and zags, the larger the ruffles. Sew through a good two feet of burlap and then push the burlap down on the yarn to make it bunch up. The burlap didn't go as far as I thought it would - I used two entire rolls of burlap (not sure what the measurements are on the length of those rolls) and it only made a garland long enough to just cover the top of my mantle, about 4 1/2 feet. Right now I'm using it as a fall decoration on the mantle, but if I were to make another one for Christmas, I think I'd make it a little longer so I could drape it along the front of the fireplace.

Some pumpkins and some shiny fall leaves really made the burlap pop.


No comments:

Post a Comment